Share this post
PLEASE REFER BACK TO THIS PAGE for updated information on Magnum York’s response to the ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic.
As we are now officially 6 months into the Covid-19 pandemic, so what’s new?
We hope that everything is going well for you, and that you’ve been able to adjust to the new normal as best as we call can.
Our offices across Alberta still remain closed to the public however, we are allowing residents to stop by if necessary, on an appointment-only basis. Please make prior arrangements with your Property Management team to ensure that we are prepared to safely serve you.
Magnum York COVID-19 considerations: We have developed opening stages to match the government’s recommendations and have a cross-Alberta OH&S Committee steering our response, keeping our workers safe.
Are you a resident (tenant or owner) in building Magnum York manages?
Resident safety and the safety of our Magnum York staff continues to be our #1 priority:
Three (3) Ways to Send Service Requests To Magnum York
We encourage residents to submit service requests in one of three ways … this helps to effectively streamline and track all requests:
- Continue using our online forms to submit: service requests
- Call your local main office line, found here: magnumyork.com/contact-us/
- For after-hour emergencies, call the local main office line and follow instructions to talk with an emergency operator.
- We encourage all residents and owners to sign up for their MYCustomerWebPortal to give you a logged-in experience to see your billing, update your information, and to submit and track service requests. magnumyork.com/magnum-web-portal
In general, condo corporations are back to business as usual (in the new normal). We continue to see elevated levels of service requests and complaints, due to the number of people still in their units on a daily basis.
Alberta Condo Boards have been under elevated pressure; most are dealing with insurance premium increases (leading to condo fee increases), and dealing with the Pandemic
We’ve been working in board meetings very effectively almost 100% on video conferencing … Zoom or Teams are the preferred tools.
What Should You Do With Your Condo Corporation AGM?
Condo Corporations have hit a grey area when it comes to safely hosting their required Annual General Meeting’s (AGM). We break down all we know in our September 2020 blog:
To say that there are a lot of moving parts to the coronavirus pandemic is a vast understatement. We’re doing our best here at Magnum York to stay up to date with how the government response impacts both our business as well as the 750+ buildings we manage across Alberta.
Message from Peter Best, CEO/Broker of Magnum York
“We’ve managed successfully through many different crises in Alberta; the Calgary flood and Fort McMurrary fire to name a few, and we’re proud of being able to continue high levels of service when the Pandemic started. We will be here for you through this whole enprecedented crisis.
We started talking about our pandemic response plan in mid-January and we are now in “business in the new normal” territory. Magnum York, with our trades & partners, are committed to delivering essentials services and protect our condo owners and rental tenants lifestyle, property, and investment value.
We continue to monitor many different channels of information and are communicating through this blog and in emails going to our clients. Thank you for your patience.“Peter Best, CEO / Broker
FYI, our primary sources of property management information for guiding us all through this is:
- RECA (Real Estate Council of Alberta): https://www.reca.ca/professionals-learners/tools-resources/guides-and-checklists/covid19-real-estate/
- CCI North: https://www.ccinorthalberta.com/
- IREM: https://www.irem.org/learning/coronavirus
- Provincial and federal websites listed below
COVID-19 Financial Links For Alberta Renters and Condo Owners
Both the provincial and federal governments have stepped up with financial and support programs for those struggling. We hope you can benefit from this list:
- https://www.renttrack.ca/MagnumYork allows you to pay by credit card or by EFT electronic transfer from your bank account.
- General Alberta information : https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
- The Alberta government will provide immediate financial relief to Alberta’s families and vulnerable populations. https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-supports-for-albertans.aspx
- Alberta support for Employers and Employees: https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-support-for-employers.aspx
- Canada Economic Response Plan and Links for Individual, Family and Business resources: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
- Canada Help for Individuals: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan/covid19-individuals.html
- Canada Resources for Businesses: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/business/maintaingrowimprovebusiness/resources-for-canadian-businesses.html
- The Federal Government main landing & communication page: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
The Government of Canada published a “Current Situation” page: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
The Government of Canada also declared an $82B stimulus package “Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan: Support for Canadians and Businesses” https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/canadas-covid-19-economic-response-plan-support-for-canadians-and-businesses.html
Rent and Condominium Fees Due
Unless otherwise instructed by the government, Rent and Condominium fees are due. Many of our customers are on a Pre-Approved Payment plan (PAP), so nothing else is required.
For those that manually pay every month, please note that Magnum York offices are closed to the public. You can also log in to our online payment system:
https://www.renttrack.ca/MagnumYork allows you to pay by credit card or by EFT electronic transfer from your bank account.
We understand that this is a difficult time for all. Support for your situation may be found from Alberta resources: https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-supports-for-albertans.aspx or National funding: https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-support-for-employers.aspx
We diligently continue to monitor guidance from authorities so if anything changes we will alert you.
A Note On The Privacy Act for Condo Owners and Rental Tenants
For those Condo Owners and Apartment Tenants who live in multi-family buildings that want to be warned when other people in their building are affected from COVID-19 — we cannot disclose that info. Like you, other people in your building are not mandated to disclose their health information to us. And, even if we knew who was sick, or quarantined, or self-isolated / self-monitored, or just got back from a trip … we couldn’t tell anyone … we cannot disclose private information of other people in the building, which includes status of their health. Thanks for your understanding.
We encourage all our clients, boards, condo owners and tenants to follow the health recommendations found here: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/ and here https://www.alberta.ca/prevent-the-spread.aspx . This WHO World Health Organization resource is great too: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
We are managing your property effectively
It’s important to know that our MYAdvantage Technology means all our Property Management data and systems are in the cloud, that staff can work remotely and it’s why you’ve continued to have efficient property management through the crisis thus far.
24/7 emergency response
Our emergency response remains intact; if you call our number during the day, our staff will handle dispatching appropriate emergency services. Our night time call centre continues to operate, so those needed emergency services will be covered 24/7.
A call is considered an emergency is there is a threat to life or property and generally falls into 5 categories of issues: Heat, Fire, Flood, Power & Security.
Links for further information
Alberta Health Services
Latest news from Alberta Government
Public Health Agency of Canada
World Health Organization – Link for Covid-19
World Health Organization – Advice for public (best protective measures)
Infection Prevention and Control Canada
City of Calgary response to coronavirus
City of Edmonton coronavirus emergency preparedness
City of Red Deer coronavirus response